Wouldn’t it be great if your outdoor living space were as attractive and comfortable as your indoor living space? We’ve pulled together a list of the best design tips and tricks to create the perfect outdoor area where you can lounge, eat, and spend time with your friends and loved ones – all while enjoying this beautiful weather!
1. Create clearly marked zones. If you have a large backyard, use your furniture to break up the space into different areas. Set up a seating area using chairs, couches, and tables, and create an outdoor kitchen featuring your grill and counters. This will create a sense of order and make the space seem less cluttered and chaotic – as well as providing cozier areas for conversation and shared cooking duties.
2. Remember to provide shade. Whether it is due to trees, umbrellas, awnings, or roofing, shade is a crucial part of a comfortable outdoor living area. If you haven’t already started building your outdoor space yet, first pay attention to the areas of shade in your backyard. If you’re lucky enough to have some naturally shady areas on your property, consider incorporating them into your living area. As an extra bonus, consider adding an attractive, small container like a stylish bucket to your decor – you can place sunscreen bottles in it for your guests when you’re hosting a get-together.
3. Make it convenient. If you’re using your outdoor space for cooking, you don’t want to have to travel the length of the backyard just to grab items from your kitchen. Make sure that you think through your layout and that it makes sense in terms of function.
4. Include a focal point or statement piece. This could be a pond, an outdoor fireplace, a garden, or a large sculpture. An attractive and attention-grabbing focal point gives your layout a sense of purpose and order and gives you something to build your seating space around.
5. Give your design consistency. You may want to have the architectural elements of your outdoor living space match those of the exterior of your home. You can also tie together your outdoor living area by using a consistent colour scheme for textiles items like throw pillows, upholstery, tablecloths or placemats, as well as small décor touches like gardening pots and paper lanterns.
6. Let there be light. If you plan on using your outdoor space after dark, make sure that you have some light sources. Solar-powered garden lights, an outdoor fireplace, fairy lights draped in the branches of trees or wrapped around pergola-style rafters, or beautiful torches are great ways to beautifully light your outdoor living space
7. Provide privacy. There’s something to be said for leaving a little to the imagination. Use well-placed shrubbery, hanging vines, fences, or trellises to give you and your guests a little bit of privacy.
Need help to create your perfect outdoor oasis? Contact us or visit our showroom for a free consultation!